Children, young people and safeguarding:

It is sometimes difficult to know what to do when you have concerns about a child or a family, so please read the following information for help and advice. 

Professionals rely on people to help alert them that children and young people might be suffering harm, abuse or in need of support. We aim to support families that would benefit from extra help with parenting their children so that children and young people are not put at further risk. Everyone can help by being aware of children and young people around them and alerting services of even the smallest concerns.

What to do if you are worried about a child:

There are a number of things you can do if you are worried a child or young person may be suffering, or at risk of suffering harm.

  • Call the NSPCC helpline on 0808 800 5000 - adults who are concerned about a child can speak to a trained child protection officer for advice about what to do (you can also email [email protected] for advice).
  • If you are a child or young person, you can call ChildLine on 0800 1111 to talk about any problem - counsellors are always there to help you sort it out. It is free and confidential.
  • Speak to your (or the child’s) GP, health visitor, school nurse or other health professional so that you can share your early concerns. You could also speak to the child’s teacher. All professionals have guidelines on how to act when children and young people are at risk. They will be able to advise you on what to do next.
  • Telephone Derby Children’s Social Care(Social Services) on 01332 786968 (Out of Hours) / Derbyshire Children's Social Care (Social Services) on 08456 058 058 and ask to talk to someone about your worries.
  • Contact the Police on 0345 123 3333.

If you think a child or young person is in immediate danger, call the police on 999

All concerns about children and young people are taken very seriously - do not worry that your concerns will be dismissed or ignored. You could help to end a child’s suffering by your actions.

Further information including safeguarding procedures can be found at: Derbyshire Safeguarding Children Board 01629 532169 or Derby Safeguarding Children Board 01332 717811

Adults and Safeguarding

If you have concerns about an adult who may be vulnerable and at-risk of abuse, please consult the following information and links. 

Who might be at risk from abuse?

Some adults may not be able to take care of themselves very well or protect themselves from abuse or exploitation. This includes:

  • People with mental ill health
  • People with learning disabilities or physical disabilities
  • People who, because of illness or age depend on others for care
  • People with dementia
  • People with long term health needs
  • People who misuse drugs or alcohol.

What do we mean by abuse?

Abuse can take many forms. Abuse can happen anywhere and at any time and can be committed by anyone. It includes:

  • Physical abuse – being hit, slapped, punched or kicked on purpose
  • Sexual abuse – being involved in sexual activity that is not wanted or not understood
  • Emotional abuse – being humiliated, threatened, controlled, isolated, intimidated, verbally abused or prevented from receiving support from services
  • Neglect – not being provided with food, clothing, attention or care, preventing access to health, social care services or education or misusing medication
  • Discrimination – being treated unfairly because of gender, race, culture, background, age, disability, sexuality or illness.
  • Financial abuse – theft or misuse of money, property or personal possessions, pressure in connection with property, inheritance or wills or in entering financial agreements.

If you suspect an adult is at risk of abuse, or if you are experiencing abuse, you can access help on the following numbers: 

  • Derbyshire Adult Social Care – 08456 058 058 or 01629 533190 (lines open 24 hours)
  • Derby City Adult Social Care – 01332 717777 (between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday) or 01332 786968 (between 5pm and 9am Monday to Friday, and all day Saturday & Sunday.

If you think something needs to be done straight away to protect yourself or another adult of abuse, please ring 999

This guidance relates to adults (people who are aged 18 years or over).*